Saturday, July 11, 2009

Good Bye My Friends

Sadly, this piece needs to take on a more serious note. Nala and I want to send our sympathies and sadness to so many of our friends who have recently lost their dogs. I guess many of my age group (not saying but you can probably figure it out) are dealing with elderly dogs. People get married in their later 20's, get a dog as their first child, and by the time they reach their, ummm, 40's, their dogs have hit old age.

It's devastating to watch your dog decline. To see your friend who used to run and play, beg for food, jump on your bed, be unable to do those things. To witness their pain, their weight loss, the look of weariness in their eyes. It is truly heartbreaking. Three of my friends just gave their dogs sleep in the past few months, and I cried for each one. The innocence of a dog combined with their trust is why they are such dear friends to us, and why their loss is truly the loss of a family member. I know, I've done it ,too. 

I don't know the words to say to console, just that dog's lives are way to short, I think it's all the goodness in them (yes, even in Nala), and that we are blessed to have them in our family for as long as we do, and in our hearts forever. 

I know that these dogs new to Heaven are there running and playing, chasing balls and swimming, doing all those things that age and pain and arthritis wouldn't allow them to do anymore. I can never read about a dog dying without crying, whether in truth or fiction, so my eyes are filling as I write this. 

So for Joshua and Megan and Chewbacca, you were greatly loved and brought your families great joy. We'll miss you, but you will forever be in our hearts. And while I'm on it, I still miss you, Sasha. 

Okay, off to wipe my eyes and play with Nala, she needs to chase a ball (or do I just need some dog right now?).

No comments:

Post a Comment